Diversity and the myth of Procrustes
In this ~40 minute video I discuss the myth of Procrustes and how it relates to individuality, diversity, and collective human affairs. Some of the themes I explore:
- What is the myth of Procrustes and what we can learn from the practice of applying one size to all.
- Do we want a world of uniformity or is diversity acceptable?
- How societies promote homogenisation and why there is a trade-off between security and freedom.
- Freedom is limited in the state of nature and can be bestowed upon us within structures that create predictable conditions.
- We are too quick to judge those who are not like us. Perhaps we need to learn how to withhold judgement and tolerate the diversity all around us.