- Name: Protesilaos Stavrou
- Personal website: https://protesilaos.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nationality: Greece
- Residence: Cyprus
- Birth year: 1988
Profile: Expertise and Accomplishments
I am an expert on GNU Emacs and the Elisp programming language.
In the past four years, I have authored and distributed free of charge, many Emacs packages:
My Emacs packages include:
- Modus themes (they are built into core Emacs version 28 or higher)
- Ef (εὖ) themes
- Standard themes
- Notmuch Indicator
- Minibuffer and Completions in Tandem
I am a teacher, philosopher, public speaker, writer, and advocate for free, open-source software. I am proficient in English, Greek and French.
- Gave an invited oral presentation (in English) at EmacsConf 2021 (https://emacsconf.org/2021/talks/freedom/)
- Published over 100 YouTube videos (all in English) on Emacs
- Published over 200 YouTube videos (all in English) on a variety of topics
- Wrote in English the user manuals and release notes (change logs) for all my Emacs packages
- Wrote in Greek the official Emacs TUTORIAL, which is part of core Emacs version 29
- Wrote >1000 publications (all in English) on a variety of topics including Emacs, Elisp programming, and philosophy (all freely available on my personal website)
- Teach private lessons on Emacs and Elisp
- Provide people with free technical support and advice on Emacs and programming
- Distribute all my Emacs work for free and in freedom
My media interviews
Yuvraj Singh of Syntopikon: https://www.syntopikon.com/workflows/protesilaos-stavrou/
InfoQ China: 隐居、反内卷，不意味着躺平｜专访 2021 年度「杰出新自由 软件贡献者奖」得主 (https://www.infoq.cn/article/4c6hFLTCOwQzxUQE4CIL).
A related article on me published by InfoQ China: 30岁文转码：从哲学 家变成知名软件项目核心开发 (https://www.infoq.cn/article/ny5whxy6astyr0vgnpl7).
The FSF 2021 Award for Outstanding New Free Software Contributor
The Free Software Foundation (FSF) awarded me this prestigious award for my contributions to Emacs and its global community and for my dedication to software freedom (https://www.fsf.org/awards/onfsc-award). I gave an acceptance speech and an oral presentation entitled “Living in freedom with GNU Emacs” at the global 2022 LibrePlanet Conference (https://libreplanet.org).
Google Open Source Peer Bonus Program for my Emacs
Relevant essay of mine on Accessibility and software freedom: https://protesilaos.com/codelog/2023-05-11-accessibility-software-freedom/.
- Emacs and Elisp
- Shell (Bash)
- Linux operating system
- Technical documentation
- Color theme and palette designs
- Public speaking (in English and in video format)
- Writing (in multiple languages and on a variety of topics)
- Proficient in English, Greek and French
- Philosophy (including Taoism and Confucianism)
Bachelor’s Degree in European Politics, Economics, and Law from the European University Cyprus
A parliamentary assistant at the European Parliament
An independent researcher in European affairs