This page needs to be updated. Refer to my profile page instead.
June 25, 2015 - Present
Examining the specifics of the European Union with a focus on economic governance and constitutional issues. My interest is in understanding the extent to which the supranational level as such can be understood as a republic; as fostering or extending democracy on an EU-wide scale.
- Little Guide to the European Union (book)
- Blog on EU politics
- Seminars on the European Union
- A Handbook on the European Union (book)
Front End Developer
This is a system for highlighting computer code syntax. The themes developed with it consist of a sixteen colour palette that allows an easy transition between “light” and “dark” variants (in reference to the background and overall presentation). Their accent values have an inner hierarchy in terms of their prevalence (and significance) in a piece of code.
For all the projects, see this website’s Prot16 subsection.
This is a minimalist theme/template for Jekyll (Jekyll is a Ruby gem that performs the functions of a static site generator). Akademos is targeted for coders and writers, i.e. for text-heavy blogs. It replicates the functionality of my website. In addition, it incorporates the Prot16 colour schemes as a user option for switching styles.
See this website’s Akademos demo pages.
Project will be finalised shortly after the release of Jekyll 3.2.
February 2012 - July 2014
Worked with MEP Rui Tavares (@ruitavares) for the Greens/EFA group. My primary responsibility was to deal with all aspects of the legislative procedure. I analysed the content of draft laws, suggested, contributed to or reviewed amendments, and prepared briefings for our office about the specifics of the process. A large part of my duties was carried out individually while eventually becoming part of a team effort.
My main committees were:
- Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (LIBE);
- Special Committee on Organised Crime, Corruption and Money Laundering (CRIM);
- Economic and Monetary Affairs (ECON).
I also followed the Culture and Education committee (CULT).
- Made important contributions to the Europol and CEPOL regulation, especially concerning the need of guaranteeing a high standard for data protection. The text was adopted in first reading.
- The directive on the freezing and confiscation of proceeds of crime includes a number of amendments that aim at upholding principles of criminal law. Adopted in first reading.
- Several of our proposals and compromise amendments were included in CRIM’s final report and adopted in plenary.
February 2011 - Present
I have produced over 400 articles in English. If sheer quantity is any indication, many of them are longer than 1000 words. Main topics are European Union politics and economics, though a full two years of writing explore philosophical themes.
- Broadening of my knowledge of the EU, especially as pertains to the Economic and Monetary Union;
- Refinement of certain ideas on concrete and abstract themes, including matters of sovereignty, the distribution of power in a polity, and the peculiarities of republican and federalist theory;
- Improvements in my organisational, writing and analytical skills.
Coding and web development
September 2008 - Present
I currently build websites with Jekyll, the static site generator. Between 2012-2015 I worked with self-hosted WordPress. Before that I was using Blogger.
Design-wise I am a minimalist, focusing on clear typography, performance optimisation, and cross-platform compatibility.
Since February 2016 I have become particularly active on GitHub @protesilaos. This coincides with the migration of my website from a self-hosted WordPress to Jekyll.
Open Source contributions
The purely code-related parts of my website, as well as the Akademos and Prot16 projects are all distributed under the MIT License.
I have also contributed a number of syntax themes to the Atom text editor.
European University Cyprus
September 2006 - January 2012
First honours in European Politics, Economics, and Law.