- Name: Protesilaos (Πρωτεσίλαος)
- Birth place: Greece
- Birth year: 1988
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no social media)
- Greece 2003-2006: High school years and semi-professional football (soccer) player. Also a part-time apprentice to a motorcycle mechanic.
- Cyprus 2006-2011: University studies in parallel with various seasonal and part-time jobs.
- Belgium 2012-2014: Accredited parliamentary assistant to MEP Rui Tavares for the Greens/EFA group (European Parliament). Our base of operations was in Brussels. Would move to Strasbourg for the plenary session weeks.
- Various 2015-2018: Freelance policy analyst and web developer. Worked, among others, as an external expert for CEPS (Centre for European Policy Studies) in the preparation of the H2020 project proposal Examining The Processes Of Legitimacy: Rule of Law, Fundamental Rights and Crises in the EU (EURULNET), within the Call CULT-COOP-01-2017 of the European Commission.
- Germany 2019-: Moving to Germany to pursue new ventures. More to follow.
Skills and education
- Academic: European Politics, Economics, and Law at the European University Cyprus.
- Literary: Essay writing, conceptual analysis, interdisciplinary research, technical documentation.
- Linguistic: Greek (native), English (professional), French (proficient), Spanish (intermediate), Portuguese (basic), German (beginner), Italian (intelligible).
- Social: Good listener, extremely patient, calm, methodical, introverted, cooperative and generous (team player).
- Technological: Front end web development (SCSS, HTML, Git, Gulp, WordPress, Jekyll, …), GNU/Linux power user, Free and Open Source Software contributor.
Main content indices on this website
- Books and publications on politics and philosophy
- Audio and video seminars on politics
- Blog on politics
- Coding blog, mostly about free software
- Αρθρογραφία στα ελληνικά (Articles in Greek)
Selected published works by topic
Books and standalone essays
- Ecosystem: definitions and problems (21 October 2018)
- Scepticism as a type of certitude (28 September 2018)
- On Human Self Worth (21 August 2018)
- Structured Text on Sovereignty, Nationhood, Statehood (29 March 2018)
- Prolegomena to a study of Metaethics (11 August 2017)
- Notes on the modes of Scepticism (28 July 2017)
- Dialogues on EU politics (1 July 2017)
- Essays on Sovereignty (14 November 2016)
- Little Guide to the European Union (9 May 2016)
- A Handbook on the European Union (8 November 2015)
- Leviathan, Sovereignty, Anarchy, and Peace (31 May 2018)
- The Melian Dialogue, Power, and Justice (24 May 2018)
- The Ring of Gyges, Realism, Exceptionalism (17 May 2018)
- Sovereignty and the vertical separation of powers in the EU (31 December 2017)
- Factors of statehood and the EU as a republic (24 October 2017)
- On sovereignty, nationalism, secessionism (16 October 2017)
- How to evaluate international relations (12 October 2017)
- Independence and accountability of the ECB (16 March 2016)
- The economic governance of the European Union (10 March 2016)
- Sovereignty and debt in the modern era (4 December 2018)
- EU integration and “German Europe” (12 April 2018)
- Differentiated integration and its challenges (11 January 2018)
- Why EU financial union is not enough (9 January 2018)
- On the EU reflection paper about globalisation (11 May 2017)
- ECB independence: concept, scope, and implications (2 April 2017)
- Treaty for Euro democracy: a four-fold critique (28 March 2017)
- Comment on the 60 years of European integration (24 March 2017)
- Thoughts on the White Paper about the future of Europe (9 March 2017)
- Thoughts on left wing populism (17 January 2017)
Blog post archive
- Is the European Parliament under-powered? (11 December 2016)
- Is the European Union sovereign? (20 November 2016)
- The content of leftist Eurofederalism (18 August 2016)
- Sovereignty and the argument against terrorism (23 November 2015)
- Can Europe defeat ISIS? Should it? (21 November 2015)
- Dialogue on Europe’s sovereignty mismatch (20 October 2015)
- Confessions of a former libertarian (24 April 2015)
- Constitutional subject and order (26 March 2015)
- Thoughts on the Paradox of Theseus (9 December 2014)
- Of state and superstate: a reply to Craig Willy on European ideology (5 April 2014)
Αρθρογραφία (articles in Greek)
- Γιατί η διατροφή έχει άμεση σχέση με τη πολιτική οργάνωση (20 Δεκεμβρίου 2018)
- Περί εθνικισμού, διεθνισμού, και κυριαρχισμού (23 Σεπτεμβρίου 2018)
- Παρουσίαση για την αυτοδιάθεση της Κύπρου (14 Σεπτεμβρίου 2018)
- Παρουσίαση για τους συντελεστές της κρατικότητας (1 Σεπτεμβρίου 2018)
- Παρουσίαση για το δίκαιο της μονομερούς απόσχισης (10 Ιουνίου 2018)
- Ας μιλήσουμε κυριολεκτικά για το ψωμί του λαού (13 Απριλίου 2018)
- Περί της ρητορικής για «ψευδοκράτος» (7 Ιανουαρίου 2018)
- Περί φεμινισμού, δικαιοσύνης, και κοινωνικής πολιτικής (4 Νοεμβρίου 2017)
- Γιατί υποστηρίζουμε το ελεύθερο λογισμικό (6 Οκτωβρίου 2017)
- Ποια πρέπει να είναι η θέση μας για την Ευρώπη; (27 Σεπτεμβρίου 2017)
- Now using Vim without plugins (24 November 2018)
- My BSPWM now uses Lemonbar (23 November 2018)
- Script to subset fonts for the web (3 November 2018)
- Flatpak themes in BSPWM (11 October 2018)
- How to: BSPWM on Debian Sid (1 July 2018)
- Manage dotfiles with GNU Stow (13 January 2018)
Code-related screen casts
Code projects (external links)
- Dotfiles (GitLab | Active). My custom working environment on GNU/Linux. Managed with GNU Stow. This is a comprehensive repository that incorporates much of my work on free software.
- Historiador WordPress Theme (GitHub | Active). A fork of the Twenty Seventeen WordPress theme, geared towards making a modern, full-featured personal website for use by Rui Tavares.
- Prot16 (GitHub | Stable). Colour schemes for highlighting code syntax. Each theme uses a 16-colour palette. It comes in light and dark variants.
- Simple Terminal (GitLab | Active). Soft fork of the 'Simple Terminal' by suckless. Implements changes to colours and theming, font handling, and a few patches provided by upstream contributors.
- Tempus Themes (GitLab | Active). Tempus is a collection of themes for Vim, text editors, and terminal emulators that are compliant at the very least with the WCAG AA accessibility standard for colour contrast
- Tempus Themes Generator (GitLab | Active). Tool to build Tempus themes on demand. The epicentre of the Tempus themes project and where all the underlying code and schemes are to be found.
About my website
I have been posting on protesilaos.com since February 2011. This is the platform that presents in an organised and meaningful way all of my intellectual work. It is at the epicentre of all I do in terms of thinking, writing, and coding: a major content hub, hosting over 500 articles and featuring a growing number of publications on several fronts.
This website has evolved considerably over the years. It started off as a blog on Blogger, turner into a self-hosted WordPress site, and now exists as a set of files that are transformed into static pages with Jekyll. I have written from scratch every line of the underlying code base.
Note on contacting me
I prefer email over any other tool. I always reply in a timely fashion. If you have not heard from me, check your junk folder.
Please note that I do not use any social media and have no intention of joining one.
Optional. I use PGP encryption for emails. Refer to my contact page for details on my public key, or if you know the motions run the following command:
gpg --recv-keys A5B8A16D86ADECB21FB8D488BF48FD84FE21D72A