EU policy analyst. Philosopher. Free/libre software contributor.
Name: Protesilaos STAVROU
Citizenship: Cypriot, Greek, European
Birth place: Greece
Birth year: 1988
Skills and education
Academic: European Politics, Economics, and Law at the European University Cyprus (summa cum laude)
Literary: Essay writing, conceptual analysis, interdisciplinary research
Technological: Front end web development (SCSS, HTML, Git, Gulp, WordPress, Jekyll, …), GNU/Linux power user, Free and Open Source Software contributor
Linguistic: Greek (native), English (professional), French (proficient), Spanish (intermediate), Portuguese (basic)
Blogs and relevant content indices
- Blog on EU politics
- Books and publications
- Audio and video seminars
- Coding blog
- Αρθρογραφία στα ελληνικά (Articles in Greek)
Selected published works by topic
Books and standalone essays
- Structured Text on Sovereignty, Nationhood, Statehood (29 March 2018)
- Prolegomena to a study of Metaethics (11 August 2017)
- Notes on the modes of Scepticism (28 July 2017)
- Dialogues on EU politics (1 July 2017)
- Essays on Sovereignty (14 November 2016)
- Little Guide to the European Union (9 May 2016)
- A Handbook on the European Union (8 November 2015)
- Sovereignty and the vertical separation of powers in the EU (31 December 2017)
- Factors of statehood and the EU as a republic (24 October 2017)
- On sovereignty, nationalism, secessionism (16 October 2017)
- How to evaluate international relations (12 October 2017)
- Independence and accountability of the ECB (16 March 2016)
- The economic governance of the European Union (10 March 2016)
- On the EU reflection paper about globalisation (11 May 2017)
- ECB independence: concept, scope, and implications (2 April 2017)
- Treaty for Euro democracy: a four-fold critique (28 March 2017)
- Comment on the 60 years of European integration (24 March 2017)
- Thoughts on the White Paper about the future of Europe (9 March 2017)
- Thoughts on left wing populism (17 January 2017)
- Is the European Parliament under-powered? (11 December 2016)
- Is the European Union sovereign? (20 November 2016)
- The content of leftist Eurofederalism (18 August 2016)
- Sovereignty and the argument against terrorism (23 November 2015)
- Can Europe defeat ISIS? Should it? (21 November 2015)
- Dialogue on Europe’s sovereignty mismatch (20 October 2015)
Blog post archive
- Confessions of a former libertarian (24 April 2015)
- Constitutional subject and order (26 March 2015)
- Thoughts on the Paradox of Theseus (9 December 2014)
- Of state and superstate: a reply to Craig Willy on European ideology (5 April 2014)
Αρθρογραφία (articles in Greek)
- Τι πρέπει να κάνει η βουλή για το Κυπριακό (26 November 2017)
- Περί φεμινισμού, δικαιοσύνης, και κοινωνικής πολιτικής (4 November 2017)
- Γιατί υποστηρίζουμε το ελεύθερο λογισμικό (6 October 2017)
- Ποια πρέπει να είναι η θέση μας για την Ευρώπη; (27 September 2017)
Code projects (on GitHub)
- AUR packages. The packages I maintain on the Arch User Repository (for use in Arch Linux and derivatives).
- Dotfiles. My custom working environment and configuration files for some of my favourite programs on GNU/Linux. Managed with GNU Stow.
- Prot16. Colour schemes mainly for highlighting code syntax. Each theme uses a 16-colour palette. It comes in light and dark variants.
- Tempus Themes. Tempus is a collection of themes for Vim, text editors, and terminal emulators that are compliant at the very least with the WCAG AA accessibility standard for colour contrast
- Tempus Themes Generator. Tool to build Tempus themes on demand. The epicentre of the Tempus themes project and where all the underlying code and schemes are to be found.
- Tempus Themes utils. Helper scripts and utilities to streamline and automate the maintenance of the Tempus themes project.
Selected work experience
Parliamentary assistant to MEP Rui TAVARES for the Greens/EFA group during the seventh parliamentary term.
External expert for CEPS (Centre for European Policy Studies) in the preparation of the H2020 project proposal Examining The Processes Of Legitimacy. Rule of Law, Fundamental Rights and Crises in the EU (EURULNET), within the Call CULT-COOP-01-2017 of the European Commission.
I have been posting content on protesilaos.com since February 2011. This is the platform that presents in an organised and meaningful way all of my intellectual work. It is at the epicentre of all I do in terms of thinking, writing, and coding: a major content hub, hosting over 500 articles and featuring a growing number of publications on several fronts.
This website has evolved considerably over the years. It started off as a blog on Blogger, turner into a self-hosted WordPress site, and now exists as a set of files that are transformed into static pages with Jekyll. I have written from scratch every line of the underlying code base.
Note on contacting me
I prefer email over any other tool. I always reply in a timely fashion. If you have not heard from me, check your junk folder.
Optional. I use PGP encryption for emails. Refer to my contact page for details on my public key, or if you know the motions run the following command:
gpg --recv-keys A5B8A16D86ADECB21FB8D488BF48FD84FE21D72A