Little Guide to the European Union
On the specifics of the European polity
Technical note on how the Little Guide to the European Union is designed and delivered.
The Little Guide to the European Union is for those who want to learn more about the EU or deepen their understanding of it.
3. Politics of the European integration process
European integration is the process by which European nations harmonise their legal order through decisions adopted at the supranational level.
4. EU arrangements for forming and making rules
About the bifurcation of the EU's executive into 'deciding' and 'implementing' functions, and the two stages of making European rules.
5. European integration and the role of the nation state
The EU does not compete with its constitutive nations over legitimacy. Nations remain at the heart of the European project.
6. The brand of EU federalism
The European Union is a federation. It has its peculiarities as do all federal systems.
7. The distribution of competences in the EU
The vertical separation of powers in the EU is enshrined in primary law and follows certain constitutional principles.
8. The euro and Europe's economic governance
The euro is, above all, a political project. It is the cornerstone of Europe's Economic and Monetary Union.
9. Accountability and independence of the ECB
Full analysis of the role of the European Central Bank in Europe's economic life.
10. European demos and sovereignty mismatch
A European demos does not exist as a self-conscious whole. The EU exhibits an indirectness in its legitimacy and accountability.
A final note about the Little Guide to the European Union
This document records all changes made to the 'Little Guide to the European Union'.